Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Gates of Beaufort

On our recent walking tour of the Old Point in Beaufort, SC, Kim from the Victorian Parlor and I took advantage of the beautiful photo opportunities. Following are some of the gates we encountered. I've added a few quotations as well...

"He who wants to do good, knocks at the gate; he who loves, finds the gate open" (Rabindranath Tagore, 1861-1941)
"A gate welcomes guests into your garden" (Unknown)
"It matters not how straight the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll; I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul" (William Ernest Henley)
"Still around the corner there may wait, a new road or a secret gate" (J.R.R. Tolkien, 1892-1973)
"The fence that makes good neighbors needs a gate to make good friends" (Unknown)
"Perseverance is a great element of success. If you only knock hard enough and loud enough at the gate, you are sure to wake up somebody" (Henry Wadsworth Longfellow)
"Trust in dreams for in them is hidden the gate to eternity" (Kahlil Gibran)
"Gold goes in any gate except heavens" (Proverb)
"The key to heaven's gate can not be duplicated" (Douglas Horton)
"I believe the future is only the past again, entered through another gate" (Arthur W. Pinero)
"A gentle word opens an iron gate" (Bulgarian proverb)

2 comments:

The Victorian Parlor said...

Gorgeous!!! The quotations are great:).

Blessings,

Kim

Pam of Eastlake Victorian said...

What elegant old iron gates! I don't see many like that up this way, especially with those great old stone and brick walls, and brick and cobblestone drives and walkways. They remind me of "The Secret Garden." And those quotations go so well with your photos. Lovely!

-Pam